Architecture and urban
scholar, critic, and designer.
Part punk planner, part anarchitect.
My work looks at both how we shape our cities and how our cities shape us.
I am currently enrolled in the Ph.D. program at McGill University School of Urban Planning (Montreal) and a graduate of the Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism at Carleton University (Ottawa).
Read more about my current research:
- Who Builds Whose City?
alternative traditions of transgressive city-making tactics
Recent and upcoming conference presentations:
- Urban equity and diversity: Radical theories and deradicalized practices. Philosophy of the City. Bogotá, Colombia.
- ‘parking lot citys an ugly place’ Punk inverted images of capital city. AAG Annual Meeting. New Orleans LA.
- Ask a punk: From informality to anti-formality and anti-authority… and when to say fuck. Curating Resistance: Punk as Archival Method, Los Angeles CA
- ‘Fuck gentrification’ is the new ‘fuck the man’: the desirability of undesirable punk space. 1st International Conference of Anarchist Geographies and Geographers. Reggio Emilia, Italy.
- Making space for messy urbanisms: In and out of the public eye. European Geographies of Sexualities. Barcelona, Spain.
- Schlemihls and squatters: Undesirable people and places in the city. Canadian Society of Jewish Studies. Montreal QC.
- Fuck the man: punk space and feminist counter-resistance. AAG Annual Meeting. Boston MA.
Connecting theory to practice
I am also engaged in a number of advocacy and activist activities that encourage the reappropriation and appreciation of shared public space through tactical interventions, installations, and writing. Socio-cultural equity, diversity, and justice for minority and alternative groups are key themes in my work.
I am co-director of yowLAB, an Ottawa-based architecture and design ideas lab and community network. I am one of two writers behind UrbSanity, a monthly column published in the Centretown Buzz and Spacing Ottawa. To shake off some of the academic weight, I am a partner and designer with the urban art practice Impromptu Playground.
I am also the Ottawa editor of Spacing.